ROAD TRIP // From The Highlands To The Snow
Short(ish) access to the slopes is one of the perks of living in The Southern Highlands, don't you think? Winter is here and with the June long weekend nearly upon us, one of our favourite wintery activities is back! Long live the ski trip! As the mercury drops, we reckon there’s no time like the present for a ski road trip with your family, your best mates or even a romantic weekend away if you're lucky.
The two main resorts within driving distance of The Highlands are Thredbo or Perisher. Both are great for learners or the more experienced! There are a whole bunch of awesome deals this time of year for both Thredbo and Perisher, so go and find yourself an awesome accommodation deal.
But let's face it… nearly 4.5 hours in the car can be a long time! So, here's our hot little list of how to make the road trippin' part just as good as the skiing (and apres skiing) part…
1. Collector for morning tea— Okay guys, this hidden gem half way between The Highlands and Canberra is the stop over champion of the road trip to The High Country. Some Cafe is a cute and trendy little establishment that is just off the freeway, and it's extremely Instagram-able. They not ony have a DELICIOUS egg and bacon roll, home made orange and almond cake and coffee, but a cellar door too. This little town is also home to two alpacas who can be seen frequenting the streets, greeting eager visitors. Look at their bow ties! They even let you pet them.
2. Canberra for a touch of culture — Currently the National Gallery of Australia is showcasing a pretty spectacular array of masterpieces at the moment, so this is the perfect chance to stretch your legs and enjoy some culture! The space is stunning, and the current exhibition 'Monet - Impression Sunrise' shows off some of the world's most iconic artworks. It’s our pick!
3. Coffee and bagels in Jindy— Jindabyne is the last major town before hitting the slopes, so this is a good opportunity to grab a coffee and one of the yummiest bagels we’ve ever tasted (we recomend the one with extra bacon, avo and a hash brown!). Grab this bagel-of-your-dreams at Coffee Beats Drinks which is on the top level of the Nuggets Crossing shopping center. It's awesome during the day, and then, starts kicking at night when it switches into a bar. Perfect spot for a drink if you're staying in Jindy.
4. Wildbrumby Schnapps — What goes better with snow than shnapps? Is there anything else? We're fallen for Wildbrumby Schnapps. It's TAAAASTY, and what makes it even better is that it's made locally, in the High Country, on the way into Thredbo. The distillery also has a stunning, luxurious cafe also, so you can pick up a bottle of the good stuff (their chilli schnapps, 'Devil's Tounge' is our favorite) and grab a bite to eat at the same time. It's rude to be over 1,000 metres and not have a schnapps!
5. Road trip music — It's officially the job of the front passenger to be in charge of cueing some fire songs, because it’s a long 4 and a half hour drive from The Highlands to Perisher or Thredbo Village. With so much time on your hands, and the gang all together, it’s the perfect time to revisit the old favourites. Turn it up! We have our pick of go-to road trip tunes, with a playlist that’ll have everyone loving the bangers! Best. Playlist. Ever. Just saying...